Good Practices need to be published!
My commitment is to work for sustainable projects.
In regard to sustainable urban development, public participation at the local (neighbourhood) level has proven to
be an impetus for inexorable success. In my endeavours therefore, this has become my central emphasis and focus. A great deal of my experience
has been working with the UN-Best Practice "Sustainable Urban District Vauban" in which public participation gave
substantial impacts to the project.
At the Technical University in Berlin, I studied environmental sciences. Concerning my commitment in the field of environmental protection,
while in Berlin, I very much worked with Friends of the Earth, and upon arriving in Freiburg I started working with Forum Vauban. Presently I am
completing my PhD thesis "Citizens as Actors for Sustainable Neighbourhoods" (Aachen University, Department of Planning
Theory and Urban Development).
Between 2007 and 2012 I was employed at the Oldenburg University and responsible for several research projects in the fields of energy,
building remediation and emobility. In 2012 I joined a community in the countryside near Bielefeld. I am very much involved
in the local CSA-project (Community Supported Aggriculture) and member of several NGOs and scientific associations
e.g. Network for Sustainable Urban Development (NSE) .
For further details, please check:
- Collaborative Planning and Mobility Concept of Freiburg-Vauban - Academic article from 2016:
- Sustainable Neighbourhood Design - Abstract & slides from my current PowerPoint-presentation:
- Sustainable Urban District Freiburg-Vauban - Submission for the 2002 Dubai International Award:
- A Vision Taking Shape - The Vauban brochure from 1999:
- New editions of the Vauban brochure have been published in December 2007 and May 2009.
They are bilingual (German/French and English/Chinese). Pages 1-5 are also available online
(low resolution, ca. 500 kbyte).
To order your copy, please contact
stadtteilverein at vauban.de or check the website of Stadtteilverein Vauban
- Beautiful photos of Vauban are published by Daniel Schoenen
Andreas Delleske (www.vauban.de)
and Erich Lutz (naturconcept) .
Andreas and Erich also provide further services
(e.g. travel information, guided tours).
Bird's eye views are published on Freiburg's official website .
- New opportunities for a sustainable food system through transformative enterprise models (nascent).
A research project at Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg:
- Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) on a farm in Ostwestfalen-Lippe, south of Bielefeld.
More information about CSA in general is provided by the European CSA network:
- Sustainable Refurbishment, Constructing, and Habitation through Communication,
The project was based at Oldenburg University, 2006-2010.
A brief description: (660 kbyte).
You may also contact me via mail at carstensperling.de or phone +49-441-570 2448 or click
Carsten Sperling · Hauptstraße 28 · D 32825 Blomberg-Dalborn
Tel: 05236 889 6834 · mail at carstensperling. de